- Most trails are accessible to stock (unmodified)
four-wheel drive vehicles.
- Trails at are comprised mostly of fire breaks, sandy
unimproved roads, and driving near the ocean.
- Trail system is open year-round
Drive only on marked ORV routes and comply with posted
restrictions. Do not drive on or between the dunes unless marked
as an ORV route. Driving or parking on vegetation is prohibited.
- Observe posted speed limits - the speed limit on the
beach, generally 25 mph, is reduced in certain areas.
- Any law applicable to vehicle use on a paved road in the
State of North Carolina also applies to ORV use.
- A current driverís license; and valid vehicle
registration, insurance, and license plate are required for
all vehicles, including ATVs.
- Use only designated beach access ramps and sound-side
access roads to enter designated ORV routes. Reckless
driving, i.e. cutting circles or defacing the beach, is
- Avoid driving or parking on the wrack line. The wrack
line is a line of stranded natural debris on the beach left
by the previous high tide that can be an important food
source for protected birds.
- Pedestrians have the right-of-way.
- Open containers of any type of alcoholic beverage are
prohibited in vehicles. Public consumption of spirituous
liquors or fortified wines is prohibited.
- The use of seatbelts is required.
- Do not hang outside of moving vehicles or sit on the
tailgate or roof. Those in truck beds must be seated on the
floor with the tailgate closed; children in truck beds must
be accompanied by an adult.
- The area is comprised largely sand trails.
- Standing pools of mud and stream crossings may be present,
with these conditions being prevalent immediately following
- The park has four campgrounds. Camping is allowed only in
these campgrounds. Camping on the beach is prohibited. Campers
should prepare carefully for the natural conditions to be found
at the park.
Link to the four campgrounds.
- Please note that some campgrounds require reservations and
fill up quickly during busy travel months.